Premature ejaculation is a commonly reported sexual problem. It refers to a condition in which a man ejaculates sooner than he or his partner would desire. Men may ejaculate before or soon after penetration so that both partners are left dissatisfied with the early climax. Though most men are said to experience an episode of pre ejaculation at some point in their life, experts believe that early ejaculation is only considered a problem when it occurs on a consistent basis and leads to frustration in relationship.
What causes premature ejaculation?
Premature ejaculation is commonly reported in young men and is said to be mainly caused due to psychological reasons such as anxiety, stress, relationship problems, performance pressure and abstinence from sex for a long time. Men having sex with a new partner are more likely to suffer from ‘performance anxiety’, especially at the beginning of a relationship when the desire to please is often at its greatest.
It has been observed that early ejaculation often occurs during a man’s first experience with sex when he is anxious to reach the climax. Some men develop a long-term anxiety towards sex, which can cause a prolonged problem of premature ejaculation. Men suffering from erectile dysfunction are also anxious to reach climax quickly before they lose erection and are likely to suffer from premature ejaculation.
In some men premature ejaculation may be caused because of physiological factors such as abnormal hormone levels, thyroid problems, neurological or vascular problems, problem in the reflex activity of the ejaculatory system, abnormal levels of neurotransmitters in the brain and infection of the prostate or urethra. Sometimes, side effect of certain drugs, inherited traits and injury may also lead to early ejaculation.
How to control premature ejaculation?
In most cases, men are able to treat premature ejaculation on their own as they gain more sexual experience. Discussed below are tips that can help men gain greater control over their ejaculation.
- Prolonged foreplay – Sex experts believe that foreplay can help reduce anxiety and ultimately help in delaying ejaculation.
- Distraction technique – In mild cases of premature ejaculation, counsellors suggest men to learn the art of distraction. This simple technique suggests men to turn their mind to something else as soon as they feel that they are close to reach orgasm.
- Start-stop technique – This is a commonly suggested technique in which a man is asked to withdraw the penis from the vagina before the orgasm occurs and then reinsert the penis when the urgency has subsided. This technique allows the level of arousal to subside, giving men greater control over climax.
- The Masters-Johnson method – Also known as, the squeeze method, the Masters-Johnson method involves application of gentle pressure to the head of the penis with the index finger and thumb to prevent ejaculation. Partner’s help can also be taken to stop the urge to reach an earlier than desired climax.
Other ways to delay ejaculation
If the above-mentioned therapies don’t work for you, there are still more techniques that you can use. Discussed below are other options to treat premature ejaculation.
- Try intercourse after ejaculation – It has been observed that after having ejaculated once, either by masturbation or during sex, men take longer to achieve arousal and climax again.
- Try thicker condoms – This can help to reduce the intensity of arousal leading to climax.
- Take help of psychosexual counselling – If premature ejaculation is causing problem in your sexual relationship, it is advised that you take help of a counsellor.
- Herbal medications – Many men also take help of non-prescription creams, gels and sprays that aim to delay ejaculation by reducing penile sensitivity.
- Lessen your expectations – Performance anxiety and a belief in the myth that men should be in control over climax can cause premature ejaculation. Understanding that both partners play an equal part will take the focus off the need to ‘perform’ and help you to remain relaxed.